At Stourfield Junior School, we have moved to mixed ability teaching in Mathematics. The national curriculum for mathematics aims to ensure that all pupils:
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
To address both the school’s vision for maths and the aims of the national curriculum, Stourfield has adopted a mastery approach to teaching mathematics. The essential idea behind mastery is that all children need a deep understanding of the mathematics they are learning so that:
- future mathematical learning is built on solid foundations which do not need to be re-taught;
- there is no need for separate catch-up programmes due to some children falling behind;
- children who, under other teaching approaches, can often fall a long way behind, are better able to keep up with their peers, so that gaps in attainment are narrowed whilst the attainment of all is raised
What does your child learn in Maths?
Throughout the year, we cover a range of different areas of Maths:
- Number System - looking at place value, ordering, rounding properties of number.
- Calculation - we have clear progression of the calculation strategies used for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Measures - using and understanding a range of units of measurement
- Shape and Space - properties of 2d and 3d shapes, angles, area and perimeter
- Data Handling - producing and interpreting a range of graphs, bar charts etc.
- Money and Time
- Fractions, Decimals and Percentages